Keeping it fresh and localThe Red Barn at Fern Gully Farm is a country, family run restaurant offering alfresco feasting on a garden terrace surrounded by Macadamia nut orchards with a back drop of the Outeniqua mountain range. Just a few kilometres away from Dalene Matthee’s famous Homtini indigenous forest that inspired her book 'Circles in the Forest' - The Red Barn is within easy access to Knysna and Sedgefield in a scenic, rural area.
Our menu is inspired by seasonal, farm-grown produce and we source free-range suppliers for our meat dishes – home cooked traditional country meals with a creative touch. We like it fresh - just like Mother Nature intended. Join us for a farm-style breakfast or brunch with fair-trade coffee, free-range eggs and hand-cured bacon; a country Tapas lunch accompanied by wholesome salads; tea and freshly made scones with home-made preserves; a gourmet pizza made in a wood-fired pizza oven or Sunday roast.
The herb and indigenous garden surrounding the Red Barn lends itself as a perfect setting for an intimate, country wedding or private function and the rustic jungle-gym playground, to theme children’s birthday parties – fairies to pirates.
FunctionsWe will tailor design your wedding or function to suit your needs and have at our finger-tips the likes of ‘Eco-Zest’ floral creations, Warren Fleming Photography and in-house DJ’s. Wedding guests’ accommodation can be had on the farm as Fern Gully has self-catering forest cabins and neighboring farms abound with additional accommodation establishments.
Opening hours are Friday (Pizza) night 6pm – 9pm, Saturday, Sunday & public holidays 9am – 3pm. On Sundays as well as our menu we do a Sunday roast or a special and bookings are essential. Private functions can be arranged out of normal opening hours. Please enquire about our pre-ordered picnic baskets.
The healthy wayToday making the simplest of grocery selections have become an intricate affair of ethical choices – free range, grain fed, cage free, slow food, organic, free trade and how many miles did it take an item to get from farm to plate! At The Red Barn restaurant you may order confidently with the knowledge that:
- Our eggs & chickens are from happy, free range hens
- The bacon is home-made in the traditional way – cured in rosemary & black pepper and smoked
- Our bread is baked on the premises using stone ground unbleached flour
- All the preserves are made from local Knysna producers
- Our coffee is certified Free Trade (UZT) and Single Source of Origin (not blended) and is only from Africa
- Where possible we buy our fruit & veggies from our local Rheenendal growers
- All our charcuterie (meats) are made locally by artisan producers
- We only use extra virgin olive oil – from the Karoo
- Our olives are certified organic